Aside from the full-time positions posted below, LFHC welcomes medical volunteers of all specialties on a rolling basis throughout the year. Please visit Volunteer in Laos for more information.
Position: Supervising Pediatrician
Status: Full time
Location: Luang Prabang, Laos
Starting Date: November 2019 (earlier start date may be possible)
Period: One year, with the opportunity for renewal
- Providing point of care coaching (such as teaching ward rounds and case-based discussions), mentorship and close supervision and assistance with clinical care to Lao medical staff in the general pediatric ward, neonatal unit, emergency department and outpatient department.
- Demonstrate high quality, collaborative, holistic, non-discriminatory and compassionate care to all patients
- Close collaboration with the Medical Director on any changes to medical policy or clinical guidelines
- Close collaboration with the Medical Education Director on any and all aspects of medical education.
- Role modeling desirable professional behaviors and leadership, teaching and management skills in daily practice
- Opportunity to become clinical lead for a specialty clinic or service (e.g. neonatal care, thalassaemia, emergency department), according to area of expertise or interest.
Qualifications and Attributes:
- A Medical Degree (MD/MBBS or equivalent)
- Registration to practice clinical medicine in the applicant’s home country and confirmation that the applicant is in good standing with their home medical council.
- US Board Certification in General or Emergency Pediatrics / Membership of the Royal College of Pediatrics and Child Health (UK) / Fellowship of the Royal Australasian College of Physicians (Pediatrics); or equivalent postgraduate pediatric qualification from the applicant’s home country
- 2-5 years of independent pediatric practice post-residency
- Commitment to providing high quality, compassionate and holisticcare to patients
- Commitment to developing the clinical skills of the Lao medical staff, facilitating inclusive discussions and supporting the development of Lao clinical decision-making skills.
- A high degree of humility, patience, and cultural awareness
- Experience working with staff and patients from varied ethnic backgrounds
- Able to practice and teach in English
- Additional training in emergency pediatrics, pediatric infectious diseases, public healthor tropical medicine
- Experience practicing pediatrics in a low-resource setting
- Experience supervising medical staff
- Experience working with patients from ethnic minority backgrounds
- Experience communicating with patients and families through translators
Salary and Benefits:
Salary, yearly round trip to country of origin, visa and health insurance also provided.
Application and Inquiries:
Please email a cover letter, CV and three references from past employers to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line “Supervising Pediatrician.”
This video will give you a sense of working at LFHC. Only short-listed candidates will be contacted for interviewing.