Apart from the full-time positions posted below, LFHC welcomes medical volunteers of all specialties on a rolling basis throughout the year. Please visit Volunteer in Laos for more information.
Position: Director of Clinical Services
Location: Luang Prabang, Lao PDR
Date posted: August 2020
Starting Date: As soon as possible
Period: 12+ months
Supervisor: Executive Director
Given the high volumes and fascinating pathology seen at LFHC, we are seeking a Director of Clinical Services for a long-term posting. The position will include the supervision of the entire clinical aspect of the hospital (physicians and nurses included) with a mix of clinical shifts in the outpatient department, emergency department, inpatient department and neonatal unit. Direct clinical work is performed by our staff of Lao doctors and a major responsibility of the role will also be to provide bedside education, mentoring, and guidance during clinical shifts. The position will share back-up (day and night) call with the Medical Director and Medical Educator, providing guidance to Lao and visiting volunteer doctors and nurses. This is an ideal position for an experienced pediatrician who would like to combine an exciting clinical role with the experience of global health care. Opportunities for professional development may include working on clinical practice guidelines, quality improvement projects, pediatric education, and research or other projects, depending on area of interest.
- Supervising the clinical team: responsible for the medical supervision with close collaboration with LFHC Medical Executive Team (Medical Director, Medical Education Director, Nursing Educator and Nursing Director) on all aspects of clinical supervision and staff education;
- Providing bedside education, consultation, and assistance with clinical care to Lao medical staff.
- Sharing back-up call (day and night);
- Lead by example in demonstrating excellent care on a daily basis.
1. A medical degree from a nationally recognized medical school and 15+ years of experience;
2. Registration to practice clinical medicine in the applicant’s home country;
3. Recent clinical experience in the practice of acute pediatric medicine or related field;
4. Willingness to work in a multicultural team;
5. Commitment to providing compassionate and nurturing care to patients;
6. Strong leadership skills.
1. Additional training or experience in acute pediatrics and tropical medicine;
2. Experience working in a developing country;
3. Teaching experience.
Salary and Benefits
Salary commensurate with experience and qualifications. Health benefits, housing allowance, travel to and from point of hire and four weeks of annual leave provided.
Please email a cover letter and CV to HR@fwab.org with the subject line “Director of Clinical Services”. Visit www.fwab.org/laos for further information. Only short-listed candidates will be contacted for interviewing.
Position: Director of Nursing
Location: Luang Prabang, Lao PDR
Date posted: June 2020
Starting Date: October 2020
Period: Two years
The Director of Nursing will manage all aspects of nursing within the hospital to ensure that the organization and professional standards of nursing are developed to the highest level possible. He/She will collaborate with the Nurse Educator on all aspects of nursing education at LFHC. The Director of Nursing will have an active role in the design and implementation of clinical practice guidelines and the introduction of policies and procedures that will ensure the delivery of safe, efficient and effective clinical care.
Together with the other members of the LFHC executive staff, the Director of Nursing will provide leadership and strategic direction to the hospital. They will be actively involved in the planning, development and operationalization of strategic planning and quality assurance models along with new clinical services.
• Manage all aspects of the LFHC nursing team with a focus on providing education, training and professional development;
• Develop leadership within the Lao nursing team to enable sustainable Laotian management;
• Recruit, support and guide international nursing volunteers;
• Closely work with the other executive staff members to ensure LFHC has a coordinated, multidisciplinary clinical team that provides safe and effective clinical care to children;
• Supervise the infection control hospital activity;
• Assist in the development of both nursing-specific and hospital-wide medical policies, protocols and practice guidelines.
1. A university degree in nursing from a recognized training institution;
2. Recent acute pediatric clinical experience in a hospital setting;
3. Nursing management experience;
4. Commitment to providing compassionate and nurturing care to patients;
5. A high degree of cultural awareness;
6. Demonstrated leadership and organizational skills;
7. Willing to work in a multicultural team setting.
1. International experience in providing pediatric nursing care;
2. Experience in teaching RNs in a developing-country setting with English as their second language;
3. Knowledge of Excel, R, SPSS, STATA.
Salary and Benefits
Housing allowance; travel allowance; health insurance; salary commensurate with experience and qualifications.
Please email a cover letter, resume and three references from past employers to firstname.lastname@example.org
Only short-listed candidates will be contacted for interviews.